Rolli's palaces

More than 100 UNESCO World Heritage Palaces in the historic city centre of Genoa

In the Rolli's palaces system there are more than 100 palaces of Genoese noble families. These palaces are authentic masterpieces of the late Renaissance and Baroque period.

These palaces are located in the historic centre of Genoa and inside them there are works of inestimable value, with splendid architecture and ceilings frescoed by the greatest artists of art history.

The visitors are accompanied inside the palaces by the sequence of atrium - courtyard - staircase - garden. Some buildings are very beautiful outside, others are apparently more discreet, but inside they are all beautiful.

The inclusion of Rolli's palaces in the UNESCO World Heritage List confirms its exceptional cultural and artistic value, which deserves to be protected for the benefit of the whole of humanity.

Here are the Palaces and their secrets. 

PALAZZO NICOLOSIO LOMELLINO
Designed by Bergamasco at the behest of Nicolosio Lomellino between 1563 and 1569, it faces Strada Nuova with its pastel colours and inside there is an eighteenth-century secret garden.
PALAZZO ROSSO (PALAZZO RODOLFO E FRANCESCO BRIGNOLE SALE)
The palace was built between 1671 and 1677 at the behest of the Brignole Sale brothers; the gallery displays frescoes by Guido Reni, Veronese and Van Dyck. The Palace is part of the New Street Museums.
PALAZZO REALE (PALAZZO STEFANO BALBI)
Built between 1618 and 1655, this palace displays many original furniture and more than 200 paintings by the best artists of the seventeenth century. The Throne Room, the Ballet Hall and the Hanging Garden are worth a visit.
PALAZZO STEFANO LOMELLINI
With a double view of Via Lomellini, the building, now owned by the Doria Lamba family and home to offices and homes, was a Rolli's Palace from 1588 to 1664.
VILLA DEL PRINCIPE
The only palace recognized by the Republic of Genoa, this palace was built around 1530 for Admiral Doria, is famous for its Italian-style garden with the Neptune’s Fountain.
PALAZZO DELLA MERIDIANA (PALAZZO GEROLAMO GRIMALDI)
This palace was built between 1536 and 1544 and witnessed the architectural renewal of Genoa. It is famous for the Art Nouveau skylight designed by Gino Coppedè, the frescoes by Luca Cambiaso and its garden.
PALAZZO GIACOMO LOMELLINI
This palace was commissioned by the Doge Giacomo Lomellini and was built from 1619 to 1623 by merging two existing buildings. Today it is the seat of the Italian Army Military Command.
PALAZZO GIO BATTISTA CENTURIONE
The palace was built starting from 1611 at the behest of Battista Centurione.
PALAZZO GIO CARLO BRIGNOLE
The palace was built by Giovanni Battista Brignole in 1628. There is a splendid noble floor inside with frescoed rooms and a party hall.
PALAZZO GIO VINCENZO IMPERIALE
The palace, built by the Bergamasco around 1560, dominates Piazza Campetto in Genoa. The interiors, which today have been transformed into shops and homes, still retain the original frescoes.
PALAZZO GIUSTINIANI
Wanted at the end of the sixteenth century by Cardinal Vincenzo Giustiniani, the palace now houses a B&B. According to the legend, inside the palace there is a secret passage that connects it to the cathedral of San Lorenzo in Genoa.
PALAZZO AMBROGIO DI NEGRO
Built between 1569 and 1572 by Ambrogio di Negro, the palace on the noble floor has a decorative cycle of the late sixteenth century attributed to Andrea Semino and his workshop.
PALAZZO TOBIA PALLAVICINO
The palace was built at the behest of Tobia Pallavicino between 1558 and 1561. It is famous for the Golden Gallery among the best expressions of genoese rococo-style.
PALAZZO GIACOMO E PANTALEO BALBI
Seat of the humanities faculties of the University of Genoa, the building is decorated with cycles of frescoes by the major Genoese Baroque artists.
PALAZZO DE MARINI-CROCE
Inside the palace, built in the second half of the sixteenth century by the De Marini family, you can admire the frescoes made by J.A. Boni e G.A. Ratti.
PALAZZO GIO BATTISTA SALUZZO
Built in 1528 by the Saluzzo family, the palace preserves some frescoes made by Domenico Piola and Gregorio De Ferrari.
PALAZZO PANTALEO SPINOLA
Built at the behest of Pantaleo Spinola in 1558, the palace is decorated with a rich cycle of frescoes.
PALAZZO ANGELO GIOVANNI SPINOLA
In the palace there are some frescoes, made by the Calvi brothers, that celebrate the members of the Spinola family. On the upper floors there are decorative cycles of A. Semino, B. Castello and L. Tavarone.
PALAZZO BARTOLOMEO INVREA
The residence, despite having undergone numerous transformations over the years, has maintained the sixteenth-century plant.
PALAZZO CATTANEO DELLA VOLTA
The palace is known for the richness of the painting. Moreover, there are some frescos made by L. Tavarone and J.A. Boni.
PALAZZO DELL’UNIVERSITÀ
The Balbi family built the palace in the thirties of the seventeenth century as the seat of the Jesuit College. In 1773 the palace became the seat of the University of Genoa.
PALAZZO CESARE DURAZZO
The front of the palace has windows with alternating triangle and semi-circle tympanums, curtain walls and marble portal.
PALAZZO FRANCESCO GRIMALDI
A majestic architectural layout, splendid vaulted ceilings frescoed by Lazzaro Tavarone and Lorenzo De Ferrari and a large picture gallery.
PALAZZO FRANCO LERCARI
The palace was built in 1571 by Franco Lercari. Both inside and outside is very decorated.
PALAZZO LUCA GRIMALDI
Built between 1530 and 1540 for Luca Grimaldi, the palace houses an important collection of European, Italian and Genoese paintings from the 16th to the 18th century.
PALAZZO NICOLA GRIMALDI
The palace was built in 1320 at the behest of Rabella Grimaldi. Inside you can admire a box with Olindo and Sofronia.
PALAZZO NICOLÒ GRIMALDI
The most majestic building of the street, the palace has two large gardens that frame the main building.
PALAZZO NICOLÒ LOMELLINO
The palace was founded by Nicolò Lomellino, who expanded the garden in 1567. It features the original front and vault of the new atrium decorated with a large fresco made by F. Campora.
PALAZZO AGOSTINO AYROLO
Built between 1560 and 1562 for the Spanish Ambassador of the Republic of Genoa, nowadays this palace dominates Piazza Fontane Marose with fourteen axes of windows and two twin portals.
PALAZZO AGOSTINO PALLAVICINI
Built in 1558 at the behest of Agostino Pallavicini, it was the first palace in via Garibaldi. The front of the building is sober, but inside there are frescoes and decorations.
PALAZZO ANTONIO DORIA
Built between 1541 and 1543 at the request of Antonio Doria, today it is the seat of the Prefecture and the Province of Genoa. The reception rooms can be visited.
PALAZZO BELIMBAU
Built in 1594 at the behest of Antoniotto Cattaneo by Francesco De Ferrari, the palace is currently owned by the University.
PALAZZO BALDASSARRE LOMELLINI
This palace was commissioned in 1562 by Baldassarre Lomellini, then Andrea Semino frescoed the halls with some Roman stories. The first floor with its frescoes can be visited.
PALAZZO BARTOLOMEO LOMELLINO
The palace was built between 1565 and 1570. Today it houses a school. It was damaged during the Second World War and it lost many decorative elements.
PALAZZO CIPRIANO PALLAVICINI
Built at the end of the fifteenth century with residential uses, the palace has a large portal built by Carlone and the engravings made by Rubens and still original.
PALAZZO CLEMENTE DELLA ROVERE
Built in 1580 at the behest of Clemente della Rovere, a marble tabernacle with a statue of the Madonna della Misericordia dating back to the 17th century can be seen on the front.
PALAZZO COSMA CENTURIONE
Built in the seventeenth century, over time this palace has seen its original plan overturned. There is also a roof garden of the late eighteenth century.
PALAZZO EMANUELE FILIBERTO DI NEGRO
This palace was built in the seventeenth century by demolishing some medieval houses. Inside there are a nymphaeum and a courtyard loggia.
PALAZZO FRANCESCO BALBI PIOVERA
Also known as Palazzo Edilio Raggio, it has a seventeenth-century origin and currently houses the library of Literature, Philosophy and Modern History at the University of Genoa.
PALAZZO GIO AGOSTINO BALBI
The most representative Genoese residence of the 18th century for the complete preservation of furniture, in the palace there is a library and a monumental archive.
PALAZZO GIACOMO SPINOLA
Built between 1445 and 1459, the palace has a two-colored striped front and niches with some marble statues of illustrious family members of Giacomo Spinola.
PALAZZO GIO BATTISTA GRIMALDI
Built between 1569 and 1572, the palace has a portal that conceals three Corinthian columns. Today it houses some offices and homes.
PALAZZO GIO BATTISTA GRIMALDI
Commissioned in 1610, the palace has frescos in both public and private areas.
PALAZZO GIO BATTISTA SPINOLA
This palace was built in 1563 at the behest of Giovanni Battista and Andrea Spinola. In its atrium you can admire the emblem of the Doria family.
PALAZZO GIO FRANCESCO BALBI
Dating back to the 16th century, the palace suffered the collapse of the roof during the Second World War. It was the seat of an ancient picture gallery and inside there are still some paintings.
PALAZZO GIORGIO CENTURIONE
Opened in the 16th century, the shallow depth of this building forced the architects to come up with some ingenious solutions. It is now joined to the two other buildings behind by a small bridge.
PALAZZO GIORGIO SPINOLA
Built in the second half of the sixteenth century, the palace has been recently renovated to restore the square decoration of the facades.
PALAZZO LAZZARO E GIACOMO SPINOLA
Built between 1583 and 1588 at the behest of Spinola cousins, it has two identical portals deriving from the assembly of two separate buildings.
PALAZZO NICOLÒ SPINOLA
The palace was built on medieval pre-existing buildings in the 16th century. Its external appearance is the result of various interventions. The palace extends in length.
PALAZZO PAOLO E NICOLÒ INTERIANO
Built in 1565 by order of Ludovico inteeriano, it has preserved the garden on the back. It is now used as private accommodation.
PALAZZO STEFANO DE MARI
Built in the 16th century on the pre-existing medieval buildings of the Spinola family, the palace has a luminous atrium and a loggia staircase.
PALAZZO TOMASO SPINOLA
Built between 1558 and 1561 at the behest of Tomaso Spinola, there are many frescos inside the palace. The atrium is accessible while the floors are used as private dwellings.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

 Facebook

 Twitter

 Pinterst

 whatsapp

 Google+

To provide information and services in the best possible way, this site uses technical and analytics cookies.