The Villa Rocca park in Chiavari.Greenhouses and spices, camellias and a casket of culture to be discovered

Chiavari means “Key to the Valleys.” Already in the name the chief town of Tigullio confirms its relationship with the territory. But it is visiting the splendid botanical park of Villa Rocca, built around 1908 behind Palazzo Rocca, that one realizes the “value” that Chiavari people attach to nature.

The park is divided into different areas: the ilex wood, the conifers, the camellia area, the palm tree area, succulent plants, the rose garden, bamboos, and the monumental greenhouses with orchids. The garden is enriched by games of caves, little lakes and bridges.

The history of the botanical park is linked to that of the Rocca family, who emigrated to Argentina, where they got rich thanks to commercial activities, and purchased the palazzo in 1903.

The garden, full of rare and appreciated species brought from South America, develops itself vertically on different heights, offering different views of the city and the sea on the way.

The first stage of the itinerary is the greenhouses, perfectly restored according to the original designs. One of these greenhouses is known as “the banana plantation” because of its particular use, still today in fashion: the construction develops upwards to follow the conformation of the plant itself. There are interesting water games that enliven an artificial grotto, a little temple known as the “Music temple”, recently restored, and the “Little Tea Park.” The palazzo, once the private abode of the Rocca family, now contains the Civic Art Gallery.